The Qualcomm® Thinkabit Lab™ at the University of Michigan is a multi-year collaboration between Qualcomm and Michigan Engineering providing youth in the Detroit and Southeast Michigan area with a unique, hands-on experience in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) raising awareness of careers they may not know exist.
The Thinkabit Lab inspires year-round, hosting classes from local schools during the academic year and camp programs during the summer. Link to summer camp info here.
- Students arrive at the Detroit Center in the morning and receive their personalized badge
- Students begin the Career Exploration at Qualcomm activities to discover their own talents and are introduced to concepts in growing STEM fields, such as:
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Creative robotics
- Data science and communications
- Lunch is provided
- Students then build on what they learned in the Career Exploration at Qualcomm by engaging in fun and inventive, hands-on engineering projects, guided by trained, experienced Thinkabit Lab instructors. They learn:
- Basic programming
- Problem solving
- Critical thinking
- Application of STEM concepts to their own inventions
Facts and Figures
- Lab serves up to 30 students per day, three days/week, 3,000 students in a year!
- The MEZ Detroit location is one of three cornerstone Qualcomm Thinkabit Lab sites across the nation, putting it at the forefront of this STEM engagement program.
Benefits of Thinkabit Lab
- Students get exposure to STEM concepts and careers essential to tomorrow’s workforce, not only at Qualcomm, but also in every aspect of building the wireless, IoT, and 5G ecosystems.
- The experience opens students’ eyes to careers they may not know exist.
- Unique hands-on engineering activities encourage students to be inventive.
- The lab provides a free and accessible STEM experience for underserved youth in the Detroit and Southeast Michigan area.
Thinkabit Lab Coordinator Jessica Ely
Michigan Engineering Zone, 3663 Woodward Avenue, Suite 100, Detroit, MI 48201