The Qualcomm® Thinkabit Lab™ at the University of Michigan is a multi-year collaboration between Qualcomm Incorporated and Michigan Engineering to provide youth in the Detroit and Southeast Michigan area with a unique, hands-on experience in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) and to raise awareness of careers they may not know exist. This program expands on the work of the Michigan Engineering Zone (MEZ) by reaching students at a younger age and helping them develop a love for STEM through fun and engaging projects.
The Thinkabit Lab provides inspiring experiences for students and teachers year-round by hosting classes from local schools during the academic year and camp programs during the summer.
Students arrive at the Detroit Center in the morning. After receiving their personalized badge, they enter the Qualcomm® World of Work (QWOW™) space where they engage in activities to discover their unique talents and learn about different types of careers in STEM and STEM-related fields. They are also introduced to concepts in growing STEM fields, such as invention, Internet of Things (IoT), 5G, creative robotics, data science and communications. These concepts are important in engaging students not only with careers that are becoming increasingly important, but also to careers that will be based on these new technologies and sciences. A lunch will then be provided.
In the afternoon, students engage in fun and inventive, hands-on engineering projects, guided by trained, experienced Thinkabit Lab coordinators, in the context of the careers and concepts they learned about in QWOW. They learn basic programming, problem solving, teamwork, critical thinking skills and ways that STEM concepts can be applied to create their own inventions.
Facts and Figures
- This lab can serve up to 30 students per day, three days per week.
- In one year, the lab will be able to serve more than 3,000 students.
- The Detroit location is one of three cornerstone Qualcomm Thinkabit Lab sites across the nation, putting it at the forefront of this STEM engagement program.
Benefits of Thinkabit Lab
- Students are exposed to STEM concepts and careers that are essential to tomorrow’s workforce, not only at Qualcomm, but in every aspect of building the wireless, IoT and 5G ecosystems.
- The experience opens students’ eyes to careers they may not know exist.
- Unique hands-on engineering activities encourage students to be inventive.
- The lab provides a free and accessible STEM experience for underserved youth in the Detroit and Southeast Michigan area.
For more information, contact:
Michigan Engineering Zone, 3663 Woodward Ave. Suite 100, Detroit, MI 48201